So it’s nearly Shrove Tuesday and our Executive Head Chef Sean Melville has given us his favourite pancake recipe! Why not have a try and make your own!
- 200g plain flour
- 4 large eggs
- 600ml milk
- 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil, plus a little extra for frying
- Lemon juice, to serve (optional)
- Caster sugar, to serve (optional)
Put the flour, eggs, milk and a pinch of salt into a bowl or large jug, then whisk to a smooth batter. Set aside for 30 mins to rest.
Set a medium frying pan or crêpe pan over a medium heat and carefully wipe it with some oiled kitchen paper. When hot, cook your pancakes for 1 min on each side until golden, keeping them warm in a low oven as you go.
Serve with lemon juice and sugar, or your favourite filling. Once cold, you can layer the pancakes between baking parchment, then wrap in cling film and freeze for up to 2 months.
Tips & Treats
- Try and use a pan with a heavy base, this will give you more even heat distribution and more even cook.
- Use a thin flexible palette knife to turn the pancakes half way through cooking
- Keep the heat fairly high to get a nice colour and markings, they taste better.
- Have fun as a family and have a tossing competition!
- My personal favourite is Maple syrup and Lemon juice together.
- Another nice combination is chocolate spread with sliced banana, rolled together.
If you would rather leave the cooking to us, why not come in and try our Shrove Tuesday Menu on the 28th of February? See it HERE
To book a table in our Squires restaurant call 01638 663175.